Pavan DBA's Blog

The DBA Knowledge Store

Resolving TNS – Message 3511 not found

Posted by Pavan DBA on September 14, 2010

Today i got the following error message when trying to do tnsping for a instance. This is the only database existing on this server.

blacksun037@root# tnsping ora11db

TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 11.2.0.1.0 – Production on 14-SEP-2010 04:26:51

Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Message 3511 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
I wondered and started analyzing what happend exactly wrong….and finally found solution to be pretty simpler

we need to set home path and sid (which i had not done yet as its new database server)

blacksun037@root# export ORACLE_SID=ora11db
blacksun037@root# export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1

After setting above variables, its working

blacksun037@root# tnsping ora11db

TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 11.2.0.1.0 – Production on 14-SEP-2010 04:42:12

Copyright (c) 1997, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = blacksun037)(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = ora11db)))
OK (0 msec)

About these ads

14 Responses to “Resolving TNS – Message 3511 not found”

1. Michael said

ORACLE_SID is not necessary to resolve the missing messages issue, but it is a useful parameter to have set.

2. Shailendra said

i am also getting same error i.e Can’t initialize OCI. Error -1

3. susan said

Hi Pavan, I need to use TOAD, so I install the 32-bit oracle client into my 64 bit system, but there is already a 64 bit oracle database server in my computer. When i finish the installation of 32 bit client, I can’t connect to my 64 bit oracle database again.
    and when i ping selfdba, there is a reply, but when i tnsping the system/scott anything, the dos prompt just told me the same thing as you described.
    and when I type in the sqlplus, it just showed me the “ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error” information.
    What I should do?

4. Rabindran Kanaganayagam said

hello Pavan, I still have probleem with tnsping on a Windows 7 machine. Oracle Client version is 11g. I still recive above message :
    Message 03502 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
    Can you help me to resolve this problem? Thank you

• Pavan DBA said

need some info from you
      1. wht is db version? and on which OS it is residing?
      2. do tnsping working from client?
      3. is this freshly installed client s/w or already existing one?
      4. is port no same in tns entry and listener.ora?

• Rabindran \(G-mail\) said

If I i am just typing tnsping in a dosbox, it is coming with following message.

Now I am using 9i client from a XP machine. It is working good. We are moving to Windows 7 with 11g client.

Of course I am trying with the sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora from the present situation.

Thanks

• Rabindran \(G-mail\) said

Yep, this is a fresh installation. The port nr I am not sure at the moment. Tommorow I let you know.

thx

• Rabindran Kanaganayagam said

1). Ok, I am try to connect to a oracle db version 11g running on a seles11 OS. Also I need to connect to 10g DB on a Sun Solaris.
        2). If I i am just typing tnsping in a dosbox, it is coming with above message.
        3) Yep, this is a fresh installation.
        4). The port nr I am not sure at the moment. Tommorow I let you know.
        thx

• Pavan DBA said

i think ORACLE_HOME is not set correctly. you can try this cmd in dos prompt
        echo %ORACLE_HOME%
        tell me what output you get

5. shanker said

hi pavan, thanks a lot your solution worked for me.

6. cheesecake said

i got the same issue and tried your fix but i still have the problem. any other thing to check? basically i can’t start my listener too.